Resignation: Director of Division

Rob H - 811428

Friends,

At the meeting held 18th of May, I tendered my resignation to the VATPAC Board, effective 1st July 2009. Upon its effect, this resignation shall mark the end of my Board involvement with VATPAC, and before it SATPAC; an involvement that goes back in excess of eleven years. All I can really say is, “man, what a ride!

In announcing my departure, I'd also like to write a few words about the amazing journey I've had the privilege of being part of.

I was involved with the Minneapolis ARTCC (“the zoo” before that) when I heard about some Aussies and Kiwis starting up a server and division down under. (Hazily) I do remember my first online flight in our neck of the woods. There were two controllers and two pilots; Will (Tidmarsh) and Roland (Collins) “leapfrogged” the various ATC facilities as Terry (Scanlan) and I made our way from Sydney down to Melbourne in SAAB 340 aircraft. (Text comms the whole way, lag, no charts, very basic scenery, no multiplayer visuals – no idea really – but man, we had some fun). Later I remember lurking around Hotham with the view to departing into the sole Melbourne arrival using the SB ND/TCAS - the first KKK (sorry JK, I'm secretly claiming that one ;) not that we even knew what a conflict was at the time )

In those days three aircraft in a whole evening session was considered a busy a night. Nobody even knew what “positive separation” meant and charts were non-existent. And now here we are pulling 1300+ movements a week – on a very slow week at that. Our environment is so high-fidelity that even the pro’s are taking notice. From our humble beginnings and the simple vision to build up a local online aviation scene we’ve achieved so much and it’s been such a privilege and a pleasure to serve.

It hasn’t always been smooth sailing though! We’ve had our fair share of controversies, failed projects, and differences of opinion. The people whom have held this role know what a challenge it is to set and pursue a vision that serves everyone’s interest. To the people I’ve let down along the way, I do apologise, but I’ve always endeavoured to be fair in the advancement of our cause.

But every drop of blood, sweat and tears has been worth it and VATPAC has given me much more in return than I could have asked for. I’m not just talking about enjoying the VATSIM environment. I’ve acquired skills in communication and management that would have taken years to learn in a University. I’ve been encouraged to pursue and achieve real world aviation qualifications and a PPL. And most significantly, I’ve made terrific friendships…

While there are too many of you to mention, I do feel compelled to acknowledge some key (S)VATPAC colleagues that have had the good fortune to work with along the way and made my job easy. In no particular order…

David Kings – VATPAC Founder, original server sponsor, tech guru. David, I learned quickly to listen whenever you spoke. You are a true gentleman. I found you to be genuine in all our dealings and meetings.

Jackson Harding – Events Director, former Division Deputy Director. Jackson, I appreciate your lively, genuine service. We crossed swords on more than one occasion but I have always found you to be professional and logical.

John Keech – Former Aus Airspace Project Manager. John, you have a heart to serve others and are a true gentleman. I do have a sincere respect and admiration for you and the contribution you have made to improve the corporate knowledge of our controllers.

Shannon Wells – Deputy Director. Thanks for backing me up Shannon and for your thoughtful contributions over the years. You’ve made my job easier and given much along the road.

Andrew Carr – Director of ATC Training. I really value your discipline and well thought out approach to things. It’s been wonderful having a front row seat in seeing how your own journey has been influenced by what we’ve created. Who would have thought?

Roland Collins – Co-Founder of VATPAC/VATSIM. You are a true servant and a patient gentleman. With a memory like a vice you have given me much sound counsel and I consider to my great fortune to know you.

Terry Scanlan – Oceania RD, Founder. What can I say, mate? What a hoot over the years. You’ve given me great insight into managing the delicate balance between fun and realism. I’m sure there will be many more good times to come.

I could go on and write more about Matt Dorahy, Will Tidmarsh, Mark Richards, Dean Constantinidis, Neil Brown, Skip Fulton and many others, but thank you for indulging me thus far.

VATPAC is in a strong position thanks to the labour of many and now is a good time to make a change of leadership. It’s time for change.

In the month or so before my resignation takes effect, I will be working with the rest of the Board to consolidate our project pipeline and ensure that we continue steadfastly towards improving our services and online activity.

There will also soon be details of the appointment process for the next Director of Division which will be completed to allow a proper handover period.

Thanks for all the good times folks and may there be many more to come.

Best Regards,

Rob Hooley

VATPAC1

Director of Division