ATC Training and Standards Department

Blair S - 1358329

1085187668_ATCTraining.thumb.png.aa710a18a4ee6414b6621b36c0fbf0e2.png

Well, what a year 2020 has been! It’s been great to hear many new and old voices on the network coming together to enjoy our virtual aviation hobby. I think it’s fair to say that this year would have been one of the training department’s busiest, with many people spending more time at home, we saw a significant increase in the number of students seeking training. Our team of mentors and instructors stepped up to the challenge, helping to ensure ATC training has remained as accessible as ever by maintaining short wait times and delivering high-quality training.

This year, VATPAC awarded 95 rating upgrades, more than two times the number we awarded last year. There are too many names to list, but I would like to congratulate everyone who undertook training this year, and I hope you’ve enjoyed being able to control on the network. For those of you with your C1s who are looking for another challenge, I encourage you to keep your ears open early next year as we’re introducing a new Senior Controller Policy with more clarity about how you can work toward your C3.

In 2021, we will continue to work on improving the VATPAC ATC training experience. This will include an update of our training materials to include examples from the new vatSys client, as well as the rollout of the next phase of our new ATC Training Admin system. With some changes in the department’s leadership team as well, I’m sure there will be many more developments that you will want to keep your eyes on.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

--
Will Smart

Acting Director of ATC Training and Standards Department
VATSIM Australia Pacific