ATC Positions - Milk Run Monday

David Z - 1027224

Controller Positions and Ratings Policy 2015

Notice under Paragraph 31 declaring non-standard positions to be activated

The following non-standard positions are activated during the specified times.

This notice is valid every Monday from 0800 UTC to 1200 UTC, unless suspended by a further notice. This notice does not come into effect until Monday 14 March 2016 0800 UTC.

1. Sydney Departures North (as per Sydney Area Local Instructions)

2. Melbourne Departures North (as per Melbourne Area Local Instructions)

These positions are available on a first-in-best-dressed basis during the validity periods and in accordance with the rules specified in the respective Local Instructions.

Note: New editions of these documents will be issued in the coming days.

Many of you will be aware of an effort to add additional TMA positions for controllers to take advantage of on Monday evenings. This proposal resulted in a trial last year to identify potential issues.

Following discussions with staff and community consultation, from Monday 14 March 2016 (Labour Day in Victoria and Eight Hours Day in Tasmania), we will be permitting controllers to operate Departures positions at Melbourne and Sydney during Milk Run events.

I will be releasing new editions of documentation to cover some of the technicalities of the implementation and the related procedures. The new sector files issued by Peter last week already include the relevant diagrams and some other nifty features like new MVAs based on real world charts. All controllers should make sure that their sector files are up to date (we are on AIRAC 1603) and that they review the changes to documents later in the week (these are marked by the vertical change bars in the margins of the documents).

The model that we have adopted is similar to how en route positions work. Logging onto vacant airspace, controllers will be able to choose their preferred position of APP or DEP. For example, I may decide to log onto ML DEP. Initially, I will assume the full TMA airspace. When another controller logs into ML APP, they will assume the airspace of ML APP and I will retain the DEP airspace. This is not dissimilar to a controller choosing to log onto BIK and extending coverage to SNO; when a controller logs onto SNO, the BIK controller retains BIK airspace - their preferred position.

If you have any questions on this or any other matter, or would like to provide feedback, you are welcome to contact me at [email protected].

David Zhong

Director Operations