Pedants beware!

Jackson H - 820457

Another pet peeve of mine. Today as I was leaving the expo I was on PH_TWR, which has a tenuous hold on second place in the Iron Mic. One of our newer controllers was on ML_TWR. He refused to even contemplate shifting to Perth, despite the fact that was where all the traffic was. He said he didn't want to because he was scared he'd mess up, like he had the day before. I'll bet what he was really scared of was some pedant having a go at him if he wasn't perfect. A tower is a tower is a tower. The same basic operating principles apply to all of them - which is to stop the planes from hitting each other. It doesn't matter if you get it wrong, or as long as it isn't exactly as it is done in real life as long as that basic rule is followed - no planes touched = job well done regardless of what the published procedures are. Fine tuning the practices can come with time, with reading, and getting to know the basic layout.

I'm all for emulating the real world practices. I'm all for doing the best job you can. What I'm not for is an environment where our newest controllers are fearful that some one is going to have a go at them because they didn't get it 100% ridgey didge picture perfect first go. Not only is this view counter-productive, it's just plain disrespectful. If someone new is giving it a crack they deserve all your encouragement for a job well done, even if it isn't perfect. You can pass particular concerns on to the training department, let them deal with it.

If you are one of the new controllers, just have a crack. You've got nothing to loose. If you get it wrong this is only a simulation, no one dies. You will become a far better controller far faster if you try lots and lots of different positions, particularly when there is traffic. By all means read the TMA supplement first, make yourself a cheat sheet of the SIDs and STARs if need be, the basic operating conditions (like auto-release etc), and the runway configurations. Use the material for it's intended purpose, but don't get wrapped around the axles that you have to be 100% right first go. If one of these pedants tries to take you on keep a record of the conversation and send it to me. That's right, direct to me, my door is always open.

If you are one of the pedants then listen up and listen good. Eventually one of the newcomers is going to follow my advice above and when that happens I am going to make it my personal mission to make sure that the matter is referred for disciplinary action under the VATSIM code of conduct. Harassing a newcomer because it wasn't quite perfect is a clear breach of the VATSIM CoC and goes against everything that VATSIM stands for and tries to achieve as a fun and learning environment. If we don't give people the opportunity to learn and make mistakes they simply will not control in all the areas we need them to control.

Newcomers take heart, none of them had the balls to pull me up for all the mistakes I made on Perth Tower this weekend, and I made plenty. Don't let them get to you, we expect you to learn on the job and we expect you to make mistakes while you are doing it.

Jackson

Jackson is 100% correct

This is just a simulation - don't worry if you get it wrong - you'll get better over time - if your trying then your 99% of the way there! :thumbs:

For those who wish to provide constructive advice, think twice before you barge in and offer it. It can be very off putting to anyone if not done correctly - just PM the Training Teams and let them address your concerns.