Senior Controller

Luke Bruce-Smith

I've had quite a few inquiries from VATPAC members who have been roaming the halls of Moodle in search of enlightenment and have stumbled upon a link to a Senior Controller Course.

The Senior Controller course is complete and we have begun to push a few new trainees through this system. The assessment aspect is almost complete but requires some finishing touches, however for the time being the training has commenced.

So what is this course?

• The course provides extra and additional training not covered by the previous ratings, and not included in Global Rating Policy
  • The course does not unlock any extra airspace
  • The course is optional, there is no requirement to do it
  • The Course is available to those persons in the VATPAC divison holding a Controller rating
  • The training component involves a mentoring arrangement delivered by a senior controller or an Instructor
  • The training is generally delivered over a period of two months or greater depending on trainee/trainer requirements
  • The training is flexible - If you have work or school commitments... that's fine we will work around them through use of a tailored training plan
  • This is a complete departure from the old Senior Controller system.. there is a clear system for checking progress
  • This rating is a stepping stone to Instructor ratings. (Should you be interested)

At the end of training YOU and the Mentor decide whether you are ready to undertake assessment.

The assessment process revolves around a two part theory component (like oceanic endorsement) and a two part practical assessment. The assessment is quick and fair. There are no hidden surprises, there is no 6 month drawn out endless tunnel.

The competencies are laid out in the Moodle course, and this is what you are expected to learn and then demonstrate in the assessment.

I'll put further details under the senior controller section of the ratings page in coming days but for now this should appease the weary Moodle traveller.

• How can you apply? - Email to training at vatpac.org
  • Will this training happen overnight - No but it will happen, we have three instructors that can do this training and they are all committed to a student at the moment. The situation will eventually ease as new senior controller mentors come on board, but for now we are full. We will get there.
  • I am a controller with 5 million hours and demand a C3 rating. I will recognise prior learning on an individual basis. You will need to show evidence of previous skills and knowledge, alternatively you can fast track to assessment.
  • I have emailed Luke to say I want to be a C3 recently? - I haven't forgotten you and your name will be added in due course. For now take time to better yourself as an Enroute Centre Controller. Master that phraseology and terminology and apply Separation Assurance (Positive Separation) to your controlling technique wherever possible.
  • There are also people in this community that are deserved of this rating for their contribution to VATPAC in recent times, I will be selectively talking to these people and encouraging them to apply for the rating.
  • Can I access the course? - No until we get some people through the course and get some feedback from those people I would like to keep it closed to enrolments.
  • I am a Senior Controller and want to get up to speed - No problems send me an email and I will provide you with access, I encourage re currency training.
  • Where can I get more information?

Email me Vatpac3@Vatpac......

I thank Greg B, Jake S, Andrew C, and Ben I for their support and technical insight while producing this course. This has taken me about a year to do, and I have used every part of my spare time (not allot these days) to produce the course.

I'm quite busy this week and will no doubt be flooded with emails now, so please be patient if I do not respond straight away. I will respond though.

As always I appreciate constructive feedback.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

The course has now been unlocked for public access.

I've also updated the description for the Senior Controller Rating on the controllers section of the website.

This course does not run like the other courses available. The student undertakes theoretical and practical training with a mentor or instructor first before accessing the assessments.

All three available instructors are conducting training with three different students now and the students are at various levels of progress within the course. I have also taken a few applications from interested controllers.

I hope this finally adds some structure and certainty to the Senior Controller training and subsequent upgrade.

As always please email me if you require further information or wish to submit feedback.

Cheers.